Monday, February 7, 2011

I can't run--I can't hide

I am finding that my relationships have suffered because of my illness. There was a time when I had many friends however they weren't good for me. So, I dropped all of them. I moved around schools a lot while still living in the same town, in the same house, on the same street. I was always looking to start over because my past haunted me. The people I hung out with weren't good for me. But, no matter where I moved I now realize I can't move far enough to escape my illness. Reality is it will follow me everywhere I go.

I have been on this kick that getting out of Concord would help me. Away from the streets I pass which are plagued with thoughts and emotions I felt: days, months, years ago. I guess I now realize I have to face these demons so my road somewhere new wouldn't be infected as well.

I need to learn to forgive myself. I don't think I have ever really tried. I still hold my self accountable. I have never wanted to use my illness as an excuse or something to blame when things went wrong. I have been saying over the years the things I said and did weren't me. But, how can that be? No one else was making me. No one else can account for those things. I can't place blame. It was me. And now I have to forgive myself. I feel like I wont be able to move on until I do, mentally for physically. Unless I want Concord and memories of the past to remain a dark graveyard haunted by the person who knows my fears best, myself.

I just wish I had some friends. Some people who were truly my friend. Not to benefit themselves or in hopes to watch me crash and burn and live to tell about it. I was genuine friends. People to do things with that I like, things we share and have in common. I am so lucky that even though we don't see eye to eye all the time that I have such a loving and supportive family. If I didn't have that I would truly have nothing. At all, literally.

Thank you God for the family I have. If you are a person with a family member living with this or any other disorder remember they need your love, support, and kindness always. Hopefully this will help you understand.

Until next time,
The Flying Fish

No comments:

Post a Comment